HUGE news in the world of Instagram! The mysterious procedures of getting Instagram verified are no more. The internet giant announced this week that users can now request verification from right inside the app!
Since Instagram started in 2010, few people have known any details about the verification process. The fickle and intriguing blue check mark was even rumored to be available for purchase on the black market. Instagram has been notoriously private about the standards they use to decide who can be verified.
While the standards are still private, the means are much easier now! Starting with the most recent app update, users can now request verification in the app. The only requirements for the application are your name and an approved document from the list below.
- Government issued ID that shows name and date of birth (such as a driver’s license, passport, or national identification card)
- Official business document (such as a tax filing, recent utility bill, or articles of incorporation)
While it isn’t guaranteed that you will be verified, the process is now much simpler. In fact, Instagram has also been a little bit more forthcoming about what it takes to be verified. They do not share a specific number of followers that you need, but instead state that it takes “authenticity, uniqueness, completeness, and notability” according to their help site:
- Authenticity: representing a real person or business
- Uniqueness: applies to only one account per individual/business
- Completeness: must include a profile photo, bio, and at least one post
- Notability: must be someone/something that is highly searched for and well-known
According to Instagram, you’ll be alerted to whether your application was accepted or denied. The only thing you can do after applying is to cross your fingers and wait for a response!
One of the greatest features the blue check mark (or having followers over 10k) provides is the ability to add a link to your Instagram stories. As a nonprofit, this is extremely useful to create different calls-to-action for your followers.
Will you be applying for verification? Share this post with a colleague to help others become verified!
PIN IT FOR LATER!